There are online MSW programs specifically designed for students who have earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from a CSWE accredited undergraduate program. These programs, often called Advanced Standing MSW programs, allow students to waive classes that are typically take during the foundation year of a MSW program. Therefore, students enter the program during the concentration year.
Many online advanced standing MSW programs, especially those with full-time programs, only accept students for Summer admission and require students to take bridge or prerequisite classes during the Summer session. Some graduate schools with part-time programs do accept students for Fall and/or Spring admission.
Full-time online advanced standing MSW programs can typically be completed in one to one and a half years, while part-time programs range from one and a half to two and a half years depending on the program. These programs still require students to complete a minimum number of field education hours at a local health services agency, but the number is often less than traditional programs.
- Advanced Standing Programs: 450 to 1,000 hours
- Traditional Programs: 900 to 1,200 hours
The majority of online advanced standing MSW programs have stricter admission criteria than traditional online MSW programs and students must have earned their BSW within a specific time-frame (typically five to seven years). In addition, some schools require certain classes to transfer and require a specific grade point average for all undergraduate social work classes.
Complete List of Online Advanced Standing MSW Programs (24 Schools)
|SCHOOL NAME||ONLINE MSW CONCENTRATIONS|
|Boise State University||Advanced Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families|
|Boston University||Clinical Social Work Practice|
|Case Western Reserve University||Community Practice for Social Change; Direct Practice with two specialization options: Children, Youth and Families (CYF) or Mental Health/Adult (MHA)|
|Edinboro University||Family Social Work Practice|
|Florida State University||Clinical Social Work Practice|
|Fordham University||- Individuals and Families
- Organizations and Community
- Policy Practice and Advocacy
|Humboldt State University||Generalist program that focuses on working with rural and indigenous communities|
|Indiana University||Advanced Generalist Program|
|Louisiana State University||Advanced Direct Social Work Practice|
|Our Lady of the Lake University||Generalist program with an emphasis on the Hispanic community|
|Texas State University - San Marcos||Administrative Leadership|
|University at Buffalo (SUNY)||Evidence-based practice with a trauma-informed and human rights perspective|
|University of Alaska Anchorage||Advanced Generalist|
|University of Houston||Clinical Practice: Health and Behavioral Health|
|University of Louisville||Generalist with your chose of advanced topics: Alcohol and Drug Counseling, Gerontology, Mental Health, Psycho-Social Oncology|
|University of New England (UNE)||Clinical Practice: Individual, Families, and Groups (IFG); Community Practice: Organizational and Community Practice (OCP)|
|University of North Dakota||Advanced Generalist|
|University of Southern California (USC)||Families and Children; Health; Mental Health; Social Work and Business in a Global Society; Community Organization, Planning and Administration (COPA)|
|University of Tennessee at Knoxville||Evidence Based Interpersonal Practice (Clinical); Management, Leadership and Community Practice (Macro)|
|University of Texas - Arlington||Direct Practice with Children and Families|
|Western New Mexico University||Advanced Generalist with electives|
*All online MSW programs require field education at a local health services agency. Programs that are 100% online do not require students to visit the campus during the program. For schools that are not 100% online, we classify any program that requires two or fewer visits to the campus per year as an online program. Therefore, the programs that are not listed as 100% online above require a limited number of campus visits during the program.
More FAQs about Online MSW Programs
- FAQ: Are there any one year online MSW programs?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs for non-BSW students?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that do not require the GRE?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that have multiple start dates?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that start in the Spring?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a children, youth, and family counseling concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a trauma concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with asynchronous instruction
- FAQ: Are there any two year online MSW programs?
- FAQ: Can you get an MSW without a BSW?
- FAQ: Is Walden University’s online MSW program accredited?
- FAQ: MSW vs. LCSW
- FAQ: MSW vs. MSSW vs. MSSA
- FAQ: What are the GPA requirements for online MSW programs?
- FAQ: What does it mean if an online MSW program uses a cohort model?
- FAQ: What is an advanced generalist online MSW program?
- FAQ: What is the difference between micro, mezzo and macro social work?
- FAQ: What is the difference between online, campus, hybrid, and distance learning MSW programs?
- FAQ: Where do licensed clinical social workers work?