Interview with Dr. Carl Van Horn and Maria Heidkamp on Long-Term Unemployment
- 8 in 10 of the long-term unemployed say the recession caused a change in their lifestyle; more than half of those described the change as a major upheaval.
- 7 in 10 have less in savings and income than they did five years ago.
- More than 4 in 10 sold possessions to make ends meet.
- More than a third borrowed money from family or friends.
- A third of the long-term unemployed moved in with family or friends to save money.
- 3 in 10 missed a mortgage or rent payment.
- 6 in 10 experienced stress in relationships with family and friends.