How To Be Culturally Sensitive Working with Clients with a Range of Identities
Why Does Social Distance Exist?
- Lack of trust between providers and recipients of care.
- Disparity in representations of diverse people as care providers.
- Research doesn’t equitably focus on diverse populations.
- People without diverse experiences aren’t always trained to recognize and address holistic concerns.
- History of discrimination from providers toward care recipients.
What Is Cultural Sensitivity and How Can It Help?
How Can Providers Develop Strategies for Cultural Sensitivity?
Where To Learn More About Cultural Sensitivity
- The Cleveland Clinic Diversity Toolkit [PDF] (3.7 MB) is an in-depth guide to hundreds of cultural, religious and ethnic identities. This resource includes a guide to patient care and cultural communication and a glossary of helpful terms.
- The National Education Association’s Diversity Toolkit focuses on different areas of diversity, including class and income, gender and sexuality, race and ethnicity, and more. The resource includes strategies for educators and school administrators to create an inclusive classroom environment.
- The National PTA Diversity and Inclusion Toolkit [PDF] (950 KB) is a resource for parents, educators and community members to foster an inclusive, multicultural environment for children and their families.