Social Work and the LGBTQIA+ Community
Table of Contents
How Social Workers Advocate for the LGBTQIA+ Community
How Social Workers Can Support LGBTQIA+ Clients
Social Work Careers Supporting the LGBTQIA+ Community
Resources for Social Workers Working With LGBTQIA+ Communities
Organizations Focused on LGBTQIA+ Communities
- Black AIDS Institute: think tank dedicated to ending the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the Black community.
- GLAAD: media-monitoring organization founded in response to defamatory coverage of LGBTQIA+ people.
- GLSEN: educational organization focused on promoting affirming spaces for LGBTQIA+ youth in schools.
- Human Rights Campaign: LGBTQIA+ lobbying and advocacy organization.
- Immigration Equality: LGBTQIA+ and HIV-positive immigrant rights organization.
- Modern Military Association of America: nation’s largest organization of LGBTQIA+ service members, military spouses, veterans, their families and allies.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: nonprofit advocating to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people.
- PFLAG: organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+) people, their parents and families and allies.
- The Sylvia Rivera Law Project: legal aid organization that serves people with low income and people of color who are transgender, intersex and/or gender nonconforming.
- The Trevor Project: nonprofit organization focused on suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning youth.
- The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender National Hotline: (888) 843-4564
- LGBT National Youth Talkline: (800) 246-7743
- Trans Lifeline: (877) 565-8860
- The Trevor Project: (866) 488-7386
LGBTQIA+ Resources for Social Work Professionals
- Affirming Practice with LGBTQ Youth and Families: training available to National Association of Social Workers members that covers the basics around terminology, current trends and suggestions for making your practice more affirming for LGBTQIA+ clients.
- Affirmative Practice with Transgender Clients: NASW workshop addressing the emerging social issue of working with transgender individuals.
- The Experiences of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Students in Social Work Programs (PDF, 1.4 MB): study report on LGBTQ+ social work students’ experiences.
- Guidelines for Affirmative Social Work Education (PDF, 597 KB): guidebook to improving the social work education environment for LGBTQIA+ community members.
- How to Name and Address Anti-LGBTQIA2S+ Microaggressions in Social Work Classrooms (PDF, 1.8 MB): guide to confronting microaggressions in the classroom.
- Lambda Legal Recommended Practices (PDF, 1.1 MB): guidelines for promoting the safety and well-being of LGBTQ+ youth.
- LGBTQIA Conferences: professional development and networking opportunities for LGBTQIA+ supporting individuals.
- Moving the Margins: Training Curriculum for Child Welfare Services: workshop focused on identifying issues of risk, challenges and strengths specific to LGBTQ youth and young adult populations, their families, other caregivers and service delivery systems.
- A Place of Respect: A Guide for Group Care Facilities Serving Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Youth (PDF, 589 KB): comphrensive resource explaining the legal obligations of group care facilities and best practices working with transgender and gender non-conforming youth.
LGBTQIA+ Resources Online
- The Asexual Visibility and Education Network: world’s largest online asexual community as well as a large archive of resources on asexuality.
- Bi.org: resource to connect bi people around the world and provide accurate, accessible, scientifically sound information about (bi)sexuality.
- It Gets Better Project: nonprofit organization with a mission to uplift, empower and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer youth around the globe.
- A Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth: introductory educational resource from the Trevor Project, that covers a wide range of topics and best practices on how to support transgender and nonbinary people.
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs: local member programs, affiliate organizations and individual affiliates working to prevent, respond to and end all forms of violence against and within LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Teaching LGBTQ History: website dedicated to “Teaching LGBTQ History,” which primarily focuses on providing resources and materials that fulfill the requirements put forth by the FAIR Education Act with regards to LGBTQ history.
- Info and Resources for LBGTQ Teens and Allies: Planned Parenthood resources about LGBTQ issues, including where to get help and how to support friends.
- Breaking Through the Binary: Gender Explained Using Continuums, It’s Pronounced Metrosexual
- Interview with Teresa Theophano, LMSW, on LGBT Social Work, OnlineMSWPrograms.com