Louisiana State University (LSU) Online MSW Program
Louisiana State University (LSU) offers an entirely online MSW program with a concentration in Advanced Direct Social Work Practice. This program is comprised of 60 credits, which students can complete in two years of full-time study, or three and a half to four years of part-time study. In addition to their academic coursework, students must complete 960 hours of field practicum. LSU also offers a 33-credit advanced standing track that allows students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW) from a CSWE-accredited program to earn their MSW in one full year of study. Students in this track complete only the advanced coursework and 480 hours of field practicum.
Online MSW Program Graduation Requirements
In order to earn their MSW, students must complete all the necessary coursework within the program (60 credits or 33 credits, depending on whether they are traditional standing or advanced standing) and maintain a minimum of a 3.0 GPA throughout their enrollment. There is an option for students to complete a thesis as well. The thesis is a research-intensive thesis project that involves submitting a thesis proposal and completing 6 credits of research and thesis work.
LSU’s online MSW programs are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and the university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Louisiana State University Online MSW Program: Overview
Department: Louisiana State University School of Social Work
Degree Types: Traditional and Advanced Standing Programs
Concentrations: Advanced Generalist Practice
Program Structure: Online with field education (no campus visits required)
Instruction Methods: Program uses asynchronous instruction and courses are 7 weeks long allowing students to start the program at 6 different times throughout the year.
Program Information – Traditional Students
- Program Name: MSW Online program
- Phone Number: 225-578-5875
- Field Education Requirements: 960 hours
- Number of Credits Required: 60 credit hours
- Program Options: Full-time and part-time options
- Program Length: Full-time program can be completed in three years; Part-time program can be completed in three and a half to four years
- Program Start Dates: Six start dates per year
- GPA: Minimum GPA of 3.0
- GRE Information: GRE Not required
Program Information – Advanced Standing Students
- Program Name: MSW Online program – Advanced Standing
- Phone Number: (225) 578-4838
- Field Education Requirements: 480 hours
- Number of Credits Required: 33 credit hours
- Program Options: Full-time only
- Program Length: Full-time program that can be completed in one year (three semesters)
- Program Start Dates: Two start dates per year in March and October
- BSW Requirement: Students must have completed a BSW from a CSWE accredited program within the last five years
- GPA: Minimum GPA of 3.0
- GRE Information: Not required
Sponsored Online MSW Programs
Louisiana State University’s MSW program information was last updated in March 2020. For more information, visit the university’s website above.
If you have additional information about this program, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.