“California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is… committed to excellence in education and service to its students…” Read more
“We take our role in the education of future MSW colleagues very seriously.” Read more
“Community Mental health & Urban Child Welfare.” Read more
“Field Education in an Urban Setting.” Read more
“Social Work & Evidence-based Practice.” Read more
CSUN’s online MSW program follows a cohort model where students enter and proceed through the program together as a group. This means that students follow a specific curriculum and pre-determined schedule of classes with guaranteed enrollment. The full-time program takes two year to complete with classes in the fall and spring semesters. Each semester is broken into two sessions and students take three classes per session.
All full-time online MSW programs require a considerable time commitment from students in order to complete coursework and field education requirements. For field education, students are required to work 16 hours per week, all four semesters. Therefore, as with all full-time online MSW programs, students are not recommended to work full-time while pursuing their MSW degree.
Cal State Northridge is regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the online MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
California State University, Northridge Online MSW Program: Overview
Department: Department of Social Work
Degree Types: Traditional Standing Only
Concentrations: Generalist with an emphasis on urban family practice
Program Structure: Online with field education (no campus requirement)
Instruction Methods: Program follows a cohort model and students take classes year round – the majority of classes have asynchronous instruction where students do not need to log on at specific times except for a one-hour online field education class
Program Information – Traditional Standing Students
- Program Name: Master of Social Work – Online
- Phone Number: (818) 677-5902
- Field Education Requirements: About 1,000 hours (400-600 Foundation Year, 5-700 Concentration Year)
- Number of Credits Required: 60 units
- Program Options: Full-Time Only
- Program Length: 2 years (four semesters)
- Program Start Dates: Fall admission only
- GPA: Minimum GPA of 3.0 – students with a GPA between 2.5 – 2.99 are required to take the GRE
- GRE Information: Only required for students with a GPA lower than 3.0