Answer: Yes, the majority of online Master of Social Work (MSW) programs offer traditional standing tracks designed for students who have not earned a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
MSW programs designed for students who have not earned a BSW are typically referred to as MSW programs with a traditional standing track or a foundation year program. While these programs do not require a BSW, they do require a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Online MSW programs with advanced standing tracks are designed for students who have completed a BSW from a CSWE accredited undergraduate program (other restrictions may apply).
Currently all online MSW programs offer traditional standing tracks:
- Total online MSW programs: 34 schools
- Online MSW programs with a traditional standing track: 34 schools
- Online MSW programs with an advanced standing track: 24 schools
Traditional standing online MSW programs typically take about 2 years (for full-time programs) or 2.5 to 4 years (for part-time programs) to complete. Most of these programs have curricula that require 54 to 66 credit hours to graduate, and completion of 900 to 1,200 hours of field education (both credit hours and field education requirements vary by school). Some online MSW programs require students to make a limited number of campus visits per year.
As part of our interview series, we asked professors and faculty members to describe the typical academic background of students in their traditional standing programs. Most mentioned that students’ academic backgrounds varied across many different undergraduate degrees and included people at many different stages in their lives. Some already worked in the social services field, while others did not. Degrees that were mentioned included:
- Justice Administration
- Women’s Studies
- Public Health
- Less common, but were definitely mentioned: Business, English, Urban Planning, Biology, Theater Arts
More FAQs about Online MSW Programs
- FAQ: Are there any one year online MSW programs?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs for BSW students?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that do not require the GRE?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that have multiple start dates?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that start in the Spring?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a children, youth, and family counseling concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a trauma concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with asynchronous instruction
- FAQ: Are there any two year online MSW programs?
- FAQ: Can you get an MSW without a BSW?
- FAQ: Is Walden University’s online MSW program accredited?
- FAQ: MSW vs. LCSW
- FAQ: MSW vs. MSSW vs. MSSA
- FAQ: What are the GPA requirements for online MSW programs?
- FAQ: What does it mean if an online MSW program uses a cohort model?
- FAQ: What is an advanced generalist online MSW program?
- FAQ: What is the difference between micro, mezzo and macro social work?
- FAQ: What is the difference between online, campus, hybrid, and distance learning MSW programs?
- FAQ: Where do licensed clinical social workers work?