One year online Master of Social Work (MSW) programs are basically full-time programs that accept advanced standing students, those who have already completed a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) from a CSWE accredited undergraduate program. These programs can typically be completed in one to one and a half years and are a great option for professionals with a BSW who are looking to increase their credentials or become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (which requires a MSW) in a shorter period of time. For students who have not earned a BSW, a traditional full-time online MSW program typically takes two years to complete.
Advanced standing MSW programs typically have stricter admission criteria than traditional programs. In addition, most programs require students to have completed their BSW within the past five to seven years to be eligible for admission. For more information about these programs including admission requirements, visit our main page on advanced standing online MSW programs.
Currently, there are 10 schools that offer online MSW programs that can be completed in approximately one year (i.e. full-time advanced standing online MSW programs). On OnlineMSWprograms.com, we classify any MSW program that requires students to visit the campus two or fewer times per year an online program. 8 of the 10 schools that offer these programs are 100% online and do not require students to visit the campus during the program. Only the University of Alaska Anchorage, which only accepts students from Alaska, require students to visit the campus during the program. All online MSW programs require field education which is typically completed at a local health services agency.
Online MSW Programs that can be Completed in One Year (Advanced Standing Programs)
Click on the school name for more information about their programs, admission requirements and eligibility restrictions.
|SCHOOL NAME||PROGRAM STRUCTURE*||LENGTH||CONCENTRATION(S)|
|Boise State University||100% Online||16 months||Advanced Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families|
|Edinboro University||100% Online||~1 year (five quarters)||Family Social Work Practice|
|Louisiana State University||100% Online||1 year (3 semesters)||Advanced Direct Social Work Practice|
|University of Alaska Anchorage||Limited Campus Visits Required||1 year||Advanced Generalist|
|University of Louisville||100% Online||~ 1 year||Generalist with your chose of advanced topics: Alcohol and Drug Counseling, Gerontology, Mental Health, Psycho-Social Oncology|
|University of Southern California (USC)||100% Online||~ 1.5 years (three semesters)||Families and Children; Health; Mental Health; Community Organization, Planning and Administration (COPA)|
|University of Tennessee at Knoxville||100% Online||1 year (Summer, Fall and Spring)||Evidence Based Interpersonal Practice (Clinical); Management, Leadership and Community Practice (Macro)|
|Western New Mexico University||100% Online||1 calendar year||Advanced Generalist with electives|
*Programs that are 100% online do not require students to visit the campus during the program.
More FAQs about Online MSW Programs
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs for BSW students?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs for non-BSW students?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that do not require the GRE?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that have multiple start dates?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs that start in the Spring?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a children, youth, and family counseling concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with a trauma concentration?
- FAQ: Are there any online MSW programs with asynchronous instruction
- FAQ: Are there any two year online MSW programs?
- FAQ: Can you get an MSW without a BSW?
- FAQ: Is Walden University’s online MSW program accredited?
- FAQ: MSW vs. LCSW
- FAQ: MSW vs. MSSW vs. MSSA
- FAQ: What are the GPA requirements for online MSW programs?
- FAQ: What does it mean if an online MSW program uses a cohort model?
- FAQ: What is an advanced generalist online MSW program?
- FAQ: What is the difference between micro, mezzo and macro social work?
- FAQ: What is the difference between online, campus, hybrid, and distance learning MSW programs?
- FAQ: Where do licensed clinical social workers work?